Monday, December 1, 2014


Barbershop, yeah I was hooked
Me at 13 years old singing barbershop
     Being a member of the barbershop society for almost 35 years, I had directed three choruses, coached many quartets and choruses and I’ve enjoyed singing in a number of great quartets -- the Pittsburgh Music Review, Harmony Partners, the Cavaliers, Major League, Hourglass,the Praetzel Brothers and I still sing with Wired For Sound even though it's not as often as I would like. Traveling all around the tri-state area singing on Barbershop and Sweet Adeline shows has been a wonderful and rewarding experience. 

     There are so many stories that could be told about trips and events while singing in quartets -- memories I will always cherish and laugh about. I’ve made many friends through the years from all over the country.  I will always fondly look back on my barbershop experience as one of the best decisions I’ve made.  I truly appreciate what I have learned from so many wonderful people throughout the years. I’ve attended many schools and many international conventions all over the United States, but haven’t had the opportunity to sing on the international stage yet, but I guess there’s still time. 
The First Apple Corps Youth Chorus - That's me directing.
      I mentioned Apple Corps in an earlier blog. It's a school offered by our district of the Barbershop Harmony society that was held at Kenyon College in Gambier Ohio. One year I decided to gather all of the younger singers together at the barbecue and sing for the rest of the guys. I wasn't sure how it was going to be received but we gathered in an elevated tennis court surrounded by fencing. I couldn't figure out a better place! Anyhow we started singing and everyone started to gather around. The sound was so exciting, young and vibrant. There is something about a group of young male voices that is so pure. The reaction was huge and everyone was thrilled with our performance.
Wired for Sound

     A really special thing happened during the 1994 International convention which was held in Pittsburgh. My quartet Wired For Sound (Tom Harwell, Me, Dave Patton & Dan Van Wetering) were watching the 4th of July fireworks at Point State Park.  Our tenor Tom noticed a deaf couple sitting nearby. And he introduced himself signing hello etc.  We then sang “What a Wonderful World” to them while Tom signed the lyrics.  It was a really incredible moment as tears ran down the faces of the couple and many folks around us. There have been many times singing in a quartet has touched my heart. I’m very thankful for that and wish everyone could experience that special feeling.

     Another quartet I sang with was called Hourglass and it was a very special quartet. We did a ton of shows, recorded two albums, and had a heck of a lot of fun. One of the days we enjoyed the most was Valentine's Day. I had started the idea of quartets going out and singing for people for Valentine's day as a way to make money for the chapter to go to contests etc. I had sent out several press releases for our Singing Valentines and I actually received a call from a local TV station (KDKA) about doing a story on it. They actually came out and followed us on deliveries. The end result was awesome.


Time to start your Christmas cookies 
Spiced Ginger Rum Balls

          

Spiced Ginger Rum Balls! 
Bittersweet Chocolate, Roasted Ground Ginger and Spiced Dark Rum make this cookie really special, just don't eat too many and drive.





 

Fruit 'N' Nut Cookies
This is a very special cookie for me. My mom made something like these all the time growing up and I love them. This particular recipe has Pineapple, Dates, Red & Green Maraschino Cherries, Coconut and Walnuts.







Today is the day for online deals, I'm hoping to do a little Christmas shopping. My son and I are also going to head out and look for an inflatable Santa for the yard. Our 15 year old Santa wouldn't resuscitate when I plugged him in yesterday. 

Thanks for reading.
Ron   



No comments:

Post a Comment