Sunday, November 23, 2014

The best thing about high school were the friends I made.

Donna & Steve, Ron, Christine, Lynda, Karen, Mark, Diana & Marty (missing - Joe, Mike & Deann)
     I never cared much for school and really never fit into any of the typical cliques. But I did make some really great friends that I still socialize with on a steady basis to this day. We have been to (and in) each others weddings and even helped each other through a couple of divorces. We've been there for birthdays and sad to say funerals and have watched each others kids grow up and even watched one of the kids get married (boy we're getting old!)  We even get together every so often for a meal out together. 

Avonworth High School Prom 1982
     Last night was one of those nights as we gathered at Joe & Christine's house for dinner. Rich, Marty, Mark, Shawn, Mike and Steve and I and our spouses have been through a lot together. We lost Shawn 10 years ago at age 40 to a heart problem (pictured third from the right). This loss hit us all very hard. He was our dear friend and seemed so healthy. He was the prime example of being physically fit and his death was completely unexpected. It was especially emotional for me as Christine ask me to  sing at his funeral which was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I had also sung at Shawn and Christine's wedding so it was like coming full circle in a way.  The gang acting as pall-bearers were very emotional. We shouldn't have to bury our friends, not this early in life.  His wife Christine and their two kids Callie and Michael were very distraught for many years as you can only imagine and she pulled back from the group for a while as I know it had to be so hard to see Shawn's classmates and dear friends, which I'm sure would  bring back memories of Shawn.
Marty, Brady & Denise
     Four years ago we lost Marty's lovely wife Denise who had battled with cancer for quite a while. Before she became ill they had tried unsuccessfully for years to have a baby and finally were blessed with a beautiful baby boy named Brady. Denise was so happy to finally have her baby and cherished every moment she had with him. It was a very sad day when we all gathered once again for Denise's funeral. But sometimes with sadness comes blessings and we were blessed to see Christine again (after a few years). Denise happened to be buried in the same cemetery as Shawn and after the burial service we all gathered at Shawn's vault in the the mausoleum and once again cried and mourned our dear friend and held Christine once again in the arms of our friendship. Denise brought us together once again and made us tighter and more determined to get together more often and we did just that and I know she was smiling down on us as we were there for her dear Marty and Brady.
  
Joe & Christine
      We continued to go out for dinners sometimes every month and I'll never forget one night back in 2011 when we were all out to dinner when Christine said she had met a really great guy at church and was trying to decide if she wanted to go out with him. We all thought that was great and encouraged her to go for it. In October of 2013 we were excited to attend Joe & Christine's wedding. What a beautiful bride and we know Shawn was looking down and so happy for Christine and their two beautiful children to once again have a dad in their lives.  

     During this past year we were happy to see Marty meet a wonderful woman named Diana and she fits right in with the gang. This past summer we got to attend another wedding, this time for Mike & Deann's son. What a great time!  No matter the occasion we have supported each other through the years and faced it all together.
  
The gang at Mike & Deann's son's wedding reception Summer 2014
Me & Laurie Bunce
     Facebook has given me the opportunity to get back in touch with other classmates who I've lost touch with other the years. I've been able to catch up with their lives and see what they are doing. I even had a chance to meet up with an old classmate who lives in the Indian Shores, FL area when we were on vacation this past summer.  Having all of my friends around me both online and in person were a huge comfort when my mom passed away. Being able to pray for each other, be there to encourage each other, congratulate each other on special occasions and offer support and congratulations on on their and their kids accomplishments and even offer condolences has been a blessing. So although high school wasn't my favorite part of my life I am so thankful for my friends that I made there.


A couple more cookies for baking on a cold day!
  


    



     


     One of my favorite cookies is this  Raspberry Almond Shortbread Thumbprint with Almond drizzle.

     This wonderful shortbread cookie is so delicious that I can't make enough of them. The flavor says Christmas to me and I love the combination of seedless raspberry preserves and almond.



     









     The second cookie is another favorite which brings a big orange flavor to each bite. These Orange Marmalade cookies with Fresh Orange Icing pack a lot of punch. 

     With Orange Marmalade in the actual cookie puts actual bits of orange in the cookie but the rich citrus icing puts it over the top with Butter, Confectioners’ Sugar, Orange & Lemon Juice plus Orange & Lemon zest.  If you like a real citrus cookie this is it! 



 
 Sunrise ~ Sunset
Sunset in Colorado during the wild fires of 2013
Sunset over the Intracoastal Waterway - St. Augustine, FL

Fall sunset in Saxonburg, PA
Sunrise on a foggy day in Saxonburg, PA

Sunset on Anna Maria Island, FL

Sunset Indian Shores, FL


Finally I want to wish my best friend Dave Patton a very happy birthday today! Hope you have a great one. Love you buddy.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

 Ron


No comments:

Post a Comment