Tuesday, November 18, 2014

  Time to Move SOUTH!

Sandcastle condos in Indian Shores, FL
     With temperatures already in the teens this morning I thought it would help if I posted a picture from our vacation this past summer in Indian Shores, FL. Indian Shores is located on the Gulf Coast about half way between Clearwater to the north and St. Pete's Beach to the south. What an incredible place, my wife and I agreed we could easily move there, but I would want the same view as we had in this picture and that ain't going to happen anytime soon! So, I guess we will enjoy trips there for vacation. 

     For those of you who enjoy a great beach vacation drop me a note and I'll share some details about the Gulf Coast. We were very lucky to spend two weeks on the coast and took day trips to places like Anna Maria Island, Clearwater, John's Pass and Tarpon Springs. There is so much to do and all within driving distance. We didn't even make it to Sarasota and Siesta Key beach as well as many other places. Those will be on our bucket list for our next trip down south and with new airlines offering great new deals to Florida we might even be able to fly instead of the 20 hour drive!

It's heck to get old, but great to remember.

     When I turned 40 (ten years ago) I decided to get some of my memories down in print before I started forgetting them. Good thing too, looking back at it now I'm reminded of so many great memories growing up. The mind is definitely the first to go. Since I found the document I decided to share some of those memories here.

Growing Up with my Brother Rich 
     My brother worried a lot about me as I was growing up. When I was about two years old, I had to wear braces on my legs to correct my feet, which weren’t growing straight. And a few years later at age four, our dog Whiskers got excited and pushed me backwards down the cellar steps.  I hit my head on the cement floor and fractured my skull.  According to the doctors I was lucky to be alive. When I arrived at the hospital I had blood and spinal fluid running out of my ear.  I still remember the bright lights in the emergency room and the big room they put us all in to watch movies.  Reverend Mowery prayed over me and I believe to this day that was the reason I survived without any lingering problems. Miracles do happen! That spring and summer I had to wear a helmet to protect my head while it healed.

     The helmet actually got me onto the ice at the Ice Capades at the Civic Arena when I was picked from the audience to ride a little sled they pushed around on the ice (my brother pushed me toward the ice so that they would pick me). The trip home was exciting too, when the car door swung open while going around the arena and as I started to fall out Rich pulled me into the car and slammed the door shut. I swear the door to that black Dodge never opened again. We didn’t have car seats or seat belts back then.  I’m lucky to have made it to five, let alone 50.

White Swann Park - Moon Twp, PA
     I'll never forget that summer I attended my friend Scott Harvey's birthday party at White Swann Park. There I was with my helmet on and yet I convinced Scott's mom that it was okay to let me ride rides. My mom was not happy! 

     Ah, my big brother Rich, I have fond memories of growing up with my brother.  From playing barber in the little pool with the hose and combs as our styling tools, to playing on the Slip ‘n Slide and flying into the jagger bushes at the end of the yard. (Can you tell I’m from Pittsburgh?)  We would remove the thorns from our bodies, wipe off the blood and go and do it again. (We weren’t too smart.)  When we were older my dad, along with a lot of help from neighbors, my cousin Dave Zorn and of course mom, my brother and I put in a large above ground pool and it was there where I taught myself to swim. 
     
     How many of you had Hot Wheels cars? I remember many hours playing with my Hot Wheels all along the wall where our garden was planted in the upper part of our yard (which is about 30 feet long and at that time about eye level for me). The tomato plants were perfect trees for my Hot Wheel town.  Unfortunately I wore a path of dirt in the grass all along the wall from walking back and forth. Although my parents never complained. I remember spending many hours outside playing with those cars or with my friends. It's so different today. I long for those days again.

     When we were in our teen years, I remember going with Rich and his friends, Monk, Spike, and Chris (what a crew that was) to the back side of a park in Sewickley Heights and tasting my first beer at age 12, a Fosters Lager, in the can that looked like a can of oil and it tasted much the same. Oh, if Rich’s white Dodge van could have talked, the stories it could tell.  Then again, it’s probably a good thing it couldn’t. 

     I remember Rich waking me up to go along with him to visit his girlfriend (Donna) up at Penn State, in the middle of the night, just to say hi, kiss a little and head back home in time for school.  Even though Rich took the road of hard knocks, I have always admired and loved him. His work ethic and never-say-quit attitude was something I always strive for.  He also taught me what not to do by being the first to do it and get caught! Thanks Rich, for being a great big brother.

More to come.......
 
It's COLD, light the oven and bake some cookies
Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate Cookies
     
  
     Warm up with some Mexican spiced hot chocolate cookies. These cookies feature cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne pepper & black pepper and they're topped with Dulce de leche and slivered almonds.


Tropical Cookies


     If you want to feel a little tropical try these yummy cookies which have brown sugar, coconut, cardamom, crushed pineapple and Macadamia nuts!

     Click on the links below the pictures for the recipes. If you have a favorite cookie recipe let me know in the comment section.







Food stirs up memories                                                 

Sir Pizza - Cranberry Twp. PA
     Has there ever been a food that reminded you of your youth or a special time in your life? Mine is Sir Pizza. It was this little pizza place close to where I lived owned by two brothers Rich & Ron which in itself made it instantly a favorite but it was the pizza that kept us coming back, a lot!  We would gather there after school functions or grab a pizza on the way home. Now what made this pizza different than any other was the crumbled pepperoni instead of sliced and the way they cut it. They took a round pizza and cut it into small rectangles and the toppings went all the way to the edge. It had a flavor like no other pizza and it was my childhood!

     Throughout the years they tried expanding into different areas. Back in the mid to late 80's my sister in law Donna went to work for a good friend who we referred to as Uncle Eddie. He had opened a new Sir Pizza in Cranberry Township in an old car rental place. I only remember this place REALLY well because of my 25th birthday (1989). 

     It was a cold February that year and my brother had taken me out to the West View Gun Club to shoot some targets and skeet. After we were done shooting we went into the club and had a few drinks to warm up. Then we had a few more. Finally Rich asked if I wanted to get some pizza and mentioned Donna was working that day. Absolutely, a perfect end to a perfect day. So off we went. When we arrived I stepped through the door and was met with a "SURPRISE!" Holy crap it was all my family and friends surprising me for my birthday. I was dressed like a bum, slightly inebriated and here I was the focus of everyone's attention. I laugh about it now but boy was I embarrassed. Although I enjoyed the party and after several cokes and some pizza I was feeling pretty darn good and enjoyed my 25th birthday. unfortunately that Sir Pizza closed several years later and became a car rental place again.

     So what brought up all of these memories? Sir Pizza and I'm happy to say that there's a new Sir Pizza open in Cranberry Township. In fact on the way home from my delivery last night I stopped by there to pick up a couple of pizzas to take home for dinner. It was just like I remembered. The first bite took me right back to my childhood. What food brings back memories for you? Let's hear your stories in the comment section.

  Some Final Words

     I wanted to leave you with a quote that I live by from my mom. I'll never forget the moment she taught me this. My brother was going out somewhere with his girlfriend and I wanted to go along. Yeah, I know it probably wasn't the best time to want to join them but I was young and wanted to go. He never asked me to go and there I sat feeling left out. My mom asked me what was wrong. I told her and she said "Ron, you can't sit and feel sorry for yourself if you never made the effort to ask. You'll never know unless you ask and if they say NO it's just that, no and not the end of the world but then you know where you stand and you can move on to something else." People very rarely know what you're thinking and I have lived by this throughout my life. I also have tried to teach my son this very same thing. Don't wait to be asked about doing something. If it's something you are interested in ASK! If they say no, then move on. Miss you mom. :(

Ron


                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment