Saturday, November 22, 2014

More memories of growing up.  

Aunt Kathy, Me, Cousin Ginny, Daniel & Grandma Kirch
     We were very fortunate to have several foreign students stay at my Grandma Kirch's house thanks to my Aunt Kathy. They would often come over to our house for parties etc. Daniel was from Argentina and was an amazing soccer player. I also remember Charo who was from Peru. A couple years later she sent her brother Alex to stay with us and he went to school with me. He taught us swear words in Spanish! His father was a doctor and sent an entire medical bag along with him filled with drugs and anything he could possibly need if sick or injured. I couldn't even imagine anyone trying that today! 
 
     We always had something going on at my house and my mom and dad, although not rich by any stretch they often would go out to dances and such.  My brother and I had a few babysitters through the years. We locked one poor girl in our bedroom while we stayed out in the living room watching TV.  She was pretty mad, so were mom and dad. One time our parents allowed us to stay by ourselves. My brother went out with friends and I invited my friend PJ over. While rough housing and running through the house I cracked my baby toe off  the corner of the hallway wall.  My toe was bleeding everywhere. My friend PJ went home as soon as he saw blood. I had to call my mom and dad who were actually at a dance and they had to leave early.
 
Me, Charo, Mom & Dad
     Many summers back then were spent sleeping out on Herrmann’s (my next-door neighbors) porch or in a clearing we had made in the woods.  I laugh every time I think of the pranks we’d pull on each other and other neighbors during those summers growing up on Plumer Avenue. Freeze tag was also big in our neighborhood and was a lot of fun until I ran around the side of this one house, jumped over what I thought was a little wall and got my foot caught in a little decorative fence at the top of the wall.  It was then I found out, as I hung upside down, that the wall was over six feet tall.  With my wind knocked out of me I couldn’t make a sound and, because of that, I never did get caught! 

     One of the coolest things my dad ever did for us was build my brother and me a tree house that was the source of a lot of good times. I still swear that one night while we were sleeping there was a bear that tried to get into the tree house. That might have been made up in our heads however I do remember playing spin the bottle with some of the girls in the neighborhood, that I’m sure of.  I think that was probably my first kiss from a girl.  Yes, I also did some dumb things while growing up -- including putting berries in my ears and an eraser up my nose. I figured I should mention those before anyone else has the chance to.  Don’t even Dave!
Terry Bollea & Freddie Blassie

     I'll never forget the party at mom and dad’s house while they were away. Rich had a bunch of friends over and they were drinking and playing cards. I didn’t drink but took advantage of the ones that did and made a little money that night. Later that evening I went to the wrestling matches at the Civic Arena. My friends and I had front row seats, or at least they did. I threw a cup at Terry Bollea before he became Hulk Hogan (it’s when he was playing a bad guy and had a T shaved into his chest). All of a sudden I heard, "Hey you!" "You in the blue." Crap, I was busted. I got thrown out of the arena. Once outside I ran around to the front entrance and saw an elderly man at the gate. I told him I had to leave the arena but had my ticket stub. He let me in but had to sit in the nosebleed section for the rest of the night. Once I got home my brother and his friends were still there and quite inebriated. So I decided to sit in on some hands and make some money. Then all of a sudden my brother's friend Monk decided he wanted his hair since he was joining the Armed Services the next day. It was hysterical as a bunch of half lit guys cut his hair with an electric trimmer. He looked like he had wrestled with a lawn mower. It was AWESOME!

Chocolate, chocolate and more Chocolate!
Death By Chocolate
     If you like chocolate this is the cookie for you. Death By Chocolate Cookies have Devil's Food Cake Mix, Semi Sweet Chips, Milk Chocolate Chips and Dark Chocolate chips! 

     One of my son's favorite chocolate candies is a York Peppermint Pattie and I have to admit I love them too! So when I saw this cookie it was a must. With Cocoa, Semi Sweet Chocolate chips, Ghirardelli chocolate bars, and snack size York Peppermint Patties. These may be downright addicting. 
York Peppermint Pattie Fudge Cookie
What we do for our kids. 
Super Smash Brothers
     My Friday was originally going to be pretty low key but then being a parent got in the way. It all started last week when David decided he wanted to buy the new Wii U game that was coming out called Super Smash Brothers Brawl which for the first time could allow up to six people to play at one time. He had earned money working on the weekends and I said go for it. So he pre-ordered the game (which came out today) and planned for five of his friends to come over for a gaming party! 

     I had asked him if he needed to pre-order the new adapter and he was confident that he didn't have to so that was that, well until last night when I decided that I should make a call before his night with his friends went up in smoke. After calling around I found out that no one had any adapters including Game Stop where he ordered the game. So I started searching for a solution. I called Best Buy and they said they had four bundles on hand that included the game, a controller and the adapter but they couldn't sell it to me until the game was released in the morning. So What did I do? I woke up early and camped out in my car outside the Best Buy waiting for them to open. 

     I sat there and watched as people came up to the door to find out they weren't open yet and then go back to their cars. More cars showed up and I was getting nervous. Finally the time came to make my move, I darted for the door and everyone saw me and followed suit. Evidently this is a popular game! We waited patiently as the guy rolled up the metal door behind the glass doors and then we were in. I asked for the game and they said it was in the gaming area, NOTHING! I found another guy in Blue and asked him and he radioed to someone and said they're going to check the back. At this point 20 people were following me like a pied piper. 

     Finally the guy emerged from the back with one bundle and handed it to me. He noticed all of the others gathered around and said "Do you all want this game?" A feverish "YES!" barked from the crowd gathered. I didn't want to stick around to see the disappointment in many of their eyes when they found out that the store only had four to sell after filling their pre-orders. I checked out, (using a $5 off rewards coupon) and headed for the door. I texted David "I got it!" Once he got to lunch he texted me back and said AWESOME, thanks Dad!
A fun night with friends!
     I made my way to Game Stop and got his money back for the game he ordered and headed home. But my day wasn't over, I wanted to give the house a once over before the kids got there. So it was out with the vacuum and straighten up. So I was ready for the onslaught of teen age boys. Sometimes we will do the craziest things for our kids, why? Because we love them and we want to see them happy. Nothing makes me happier than to see my son and a bunch of his friends having fun, laughing and enjoying themselves. It's priceless.

A few pictures I've taken.
Yellow Monarch Butterfly 
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Crown Vetch Flower Close Up
Mama goose out for a walk with her goslings 

It's the last weekend to shop for Thanksgiving groceries, happy shopping.
Thanks for reading.  
Ron


1 comment:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog, Ron. Brought back lots of memories for me. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete